If you are a woman, you might be missing out on one of the most beneficial fitness activities, and that is strength training. Women often have misconceptions about strength training, believing that it will make them look like body builders. They might believe that lifting weights is only for men or people that want to look ripped. The truth, however, is that strength training is important for women, and this importance only increases as you get older.
Strength training has a variety of benefits for women. Here are just a few:
- Strength training increases physical strength while decreasing body fat. The more you spend time lifting weights, the more you build lean muscle. The more you build lean muscle, the more you lose body fat and increase your metabolism. This means that you will burn more calories throughout the day.
- You will develop muscle tone and definition. If you want to improve the physical appearance of your body, strength training goes a long way. Lifting weights two or three times a week will tone your whole body. The key is to target your major muscle groups including your legs, upper body, chest, back, and abdominals.
- Strength training reduces your risk of injury. As our bodies age, our risk of injury increases. Strength training cuts down on this risk while improving athletic performance. Plus, weight lifting cuts down on the muscle fatigue you might experience while exercising or just participating in daily activities like laundry or carrying groceries.
- Strength training cuts down on arthritis and back pain. Besides increasing the strength of muscles, lifting weights also increases the stability and flexibility of joints. Studies have shown that strength training also reduces back pain. This are especially important as we age.
- Strength training reduces your risk of osteoporosis, heart disease, and diabetes. These three health risks become a problem as you get older, but strength training can cut down on your chances of developing them.
- Strength training improves your mood. Strength training helps women feel more confident about themselves and it wards of symptoms of depression.
If you are in New York City and interested in joining an all woman’s boot camp please visit NYC ADVENTURE BOOT CAMP, mention that you found us through our blog for and extra 15% off a membership. Come work out like a GIRL!!!
Subscribe to our Blog
Follow us on Twitter
Friend us on Face Book